Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Shellac Nails - Experiment

Happy Hump Day my friends!  How has your week been so far?  Great, I hope!  Last weekend I decided to treat myself and go for a manicure - which is something I rarely do, no matter how much I love them.  I just don't have time to stop and get one normally.   This time I went with a new technique called "Shellac".  It  is a lot like the Gel nails from what I hear.  It took about an hour to do and they are done a lot like a normal manicure.  They get the base coat, nail polish and then the top coat.  The only difference is that they are "cured" under the light for 10 to 30 seconds in between each coat.  Once the manicure is finished you literally walk out with completely dry nails. I LOVE this technique and the BEST part is that it is supposed to last completely for 2 weeks with NO chipping at all.  So, I have decided to put that theory to the test.  Here is a picture right after I got them done - excuse the poor quality - it was taken with my Iphone.  The only thing I didn't like, but didn't notice until after I had left, was the fact that she didn't paint my entire nail on a couple of them and I don't know why exactly - but either way, I really do like this technique and another thing I forgot to mention - the shine is also supposed to last the full 2 weeks.   Also, the color is called:  Red Baroness and is really a beautiful color in person.  It also looks very Christmasy too which I like even more so.   :o)


On another note, "Shellac colors are hypo-allergenic, and “3-Free” – no formaldehyde, toluene or DBP.  The formula is thin and flexible like polish, so it not only looks natural, it provides strong natural nail protection with a resilient mirror finish that resists dullness and chipping, even during the most rigorous activities." So far, so good.  I type all day long at work and have done a lot of activities like putting up the Christmas tree and wrapping gifts, etc., and there is still not a single chip! :)  Have I mentioned how much I love this polish technique?! HA!  

Here it is after day 4 - (again, excuse the iphone photo - it was dark when I took this picture last night) - see... Same as day 1! :) 

 
Okay - enough of my rambling.  If you ever get the chance to have the "Shellac" treatment - be sure and do so - it is well worth the money.  It cost me $40.00 to have it done instead of my normal $10.00 manicure.

Well, I'm off to get ready for work - I am so excited - tonight is our annual Christmas party at work.  Since things are lacking with the economy, we are having it in our office instead of some fancy place - but that's okay - I'm just excited and love being in the holiday spirit - especially in New York City!  I really hope to have some pictures from our party on my blog tomorrow.  Be sure to stay tuned for that as well as pictures of our Christmas decorations here at home.   I'm very happy with how they turned out this year and even have a few new pieces and a centerpiece that I made myself! :)

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by to say hello.  Please be sure and leave me a comment on my post from yesterday in order to be entered to win a great and funny book.  I promise you will NOT be disappointed so go sign up already! LOL 

Lots of love and hugs,

3 comments:

  1. Your nails look fabulous! I think I like that technique. Did you know that I wanted to be an Esthetician/Nail Manicurist? Ya I passed the entrance exam and got my loan and everything but I changed my mind . dang oh well. That was an expensice manicure for sure. I got my nails done once and it cost me something like 50 dollars. A french manicure and I LOVED them ! Anyway I hope you had fun at the Christmas party . Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try that - I never paint my nails because they chip so fast. This sounds like a great solution. I'll have to see if they do it anywhere around here!!

    I'm having a good week. Soooo busy though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really good. Makes me sad I have these acrylics on. I'm so ready to get back to my Axxium!! I'm glad you tried it and that you're loving it so far!!! Can't wait to hear which you like better if you do decide to try the Axxium. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Love From My Friends