Friday, August 27, 2010

Pamper Yourself

Happy Friday my darlins - hope you have all had a wondermous week!  We made it to the weekend - WHEW! My week has been sooooooo sloooowwww and just dragged on that it's made the week seem even longer. *sigh*  Anyway, after all of the other tips I've passed on to you this week, I wanted to end the week with some ways you can pamper yourself very inexpensively!  I'm sure you can tweak these as you go along - probably with essential oils or something to make it even "sweeter". :o)  Enjoy and let me know if you use any of these.  I personally plan to make up a few concoctions this weekend to see how they work for myself.

Gentle Scrub for Fresher Skin - 
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Chopped fresh tomato
2 tablespoons yogurt or sour cream

Place the sugar in a small bowl.  Add enough fresh chopped tomato to moisten, then add the yogurt.  Combine and apply to you clean, damp face and use your fingertips to gently massage the formula into your skin.  Allow this to remain on your skin for 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water and pat dry.

Super Soft Skin - Squeeze a tablespoon of lemon juice on a cotton ball/cotton pad; dab the lemon-soaked cotton ball/pad in sugar; rub the cotton ball/pad over your face as you would a facial scrub.  Scrub gently over your face for a minute.  Rinse face after you are done scrubbing and your skin will feel as soft as a baby's bottom!  

The sugar will eventually dissolve, so you can re-dab the cotton ball into the sugar as many times as you want or desire to do so.  However, please note - use this at the most once a week.  If you do this more than once a week, it will cause damage to your skin.

To exfoliate dead skin and diminish the appearance of freckles and age spots - Gently rub a cut lemon and 1/2 teaspoon sugar granules over the skin for a few minutes.  Repeat at least once a week until the darkened areas fade.  (I need to do this one myself to see if it will get rid of my age spots)

Lemon Hair Conditioner - Mix the juice of one lemon with one cup warm water and apply to hair.  Allow to remain for a few minutes, then rinse.  This will add fresh bounce and shine to your hair. 

For smooth, pretty feet -  In a foot bath, combine 1 cup of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/4 cup milk and enough water to fill the basin. Soak feet for 15 minutes, then rinse with warm water.  Do this once a week for several weeks for noticeably softer, smoother feet.  (I bet this will be great during those harsh winter months!)

Astringent toner for oily skin -  Combine 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons vodka, 1 tablespoon distilled water and 1 teaspoon witch hazel.  Apply with a clean cloth or cotton balls to skin, then rinse.  Do NOT use this on broken skin as it will sting!  This will keep in the refrigerator for a week.

Honey cornmeal hand softener - 
1/4 cup cornmeal
3 tablespoons hemp milk (or milk of your choice)
1 tablespoon honey
1 drop vanilla extract or essential oil (optional)

In a small saucepan, stir in the milk and cornmeal and simmer over low heat until thickened into a loose paste. Remove from heat, allow to cool and stir in honey and extract or oil, if using.  Massage mixture into hands and allow to sit for 10 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water.

Green rub for pretty feet -
2-3 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons fresh avocado or avocado oil


Mix both ingredients in a small bowl until they form a meal-like mixture.  Place feet on a towel.  Put one  half of the mixture in the palm of your hand, rub both hands together, apply to one foot, working the gritty and emollient meal into calluses and rough spots, and up around the toes.  Repeat with the other half of mixture on the other foot.  Rinse and dry feet thoroughly.  Repeat treatment once or twice a week.


Peppermint Foot Scrub -
1 cup Epsom Salt
1/3 cup almond oil or olive oil
1 tablespoon castile soap
6 drops of peppermint essential oil

Mix all ingredients throughly in a bowl.  Soak your feet first if desired, using 3 quarts of hot water directly from the faucet.  Pour the water into a basin and mix in 1/4 cup Epsom salt.  Soak for 15 minutes.  Scrub your feet with the mixture, then rinse.

That's all of the beauty tips for now.  However, I have another good tip if you are interested.  This is one I use all of the time as does my son.  If you are like me and despise ironing then this tip is for you!

Homemade Downy Wrinkle Releaser Spray
1/2 capful of Downy (or a cheap Dollar Store version works just the same) liquid fabric softener
1 quart of water

Mix together and put in a spray bottle.  Spray lightly on wrinkled clothing and let dry.  

So there you go my friends.  I hope you've enjoyed this week's segment of tips and can put some of them to good use!  On another note - I realized just this week that I totally and completely missed my 1 year blogoversary - ACK! I can't believe that I let it just slip on by!  Well part of the reason is due to me being in Florida on vacation during that time, but still - it just came and went without me even realizing it.  So...in honor of my belated 1 year blogoversary - I am going to host another giveaway soon.  Since you have all been wonderful and lovely followers and friends and continue to put up with and read my randomness - I want the prize to be something really special, so I have to give it some thought.  But no worries - I will let you know in advance when the giveaway will be.  Thank you all for being such wonderful followers and leaving such sweet comments for me! I wish that I could meet you all IRL and give each of you a giant hug.  If ever you are in my neck of the woods (as Al Roker says) - please feel free to look me up - I'd love to meet you in the Big Apple (or Jersey) and have lunch!

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend my friends and thanks again for stopping by to say hi!

Lots of love and hugs,

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the relaxing tips!! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the honey cornmeal hand softner sounds awesome...only problem is I may try and eat it...lol

    Steven Anthony
    Man Dish~Metro Style
    &
    Life in the Fish Bowl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tips!!! I'm passing these on to my friends. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip for oily skin. Do we have any vodka in the house? No, only whisky which by the way is great for cleaning diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this post, my friend?
    They sound great, absolutely great ideas!

    I've been having Internet connection problems from 0800 until now. argh!

    LOVE
    B xx

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Love From My Friends