Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Recipe Time - Pioneer Woman Style!

Happy Tuesday darlins!  Thought I would share a couple of recipes with you that I made over the weekend.  One is a tried and true family recipe that I grew up on that both my grandmother and mother used to make and the other is one from the Pioneer Woman.  They are both "Fall" recipes and I don't know about you, but I am more than ready for Fall and comfort foods! :o)

Homemade Potato Soup (Family Favorite)

Red Potatoes
Onion
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Velveeta
Milk
Butter

Add Potatoes, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper in a pan of water.  Just fill water to cover the top of the potatoes.  Boil potatoes but don't let them get mushy.  Just cook them enough that you can very easily stick a butter knife through them.  After cooking them, DO NOT drain all of the water out of them as this will help the taste of the broth (plus your salt and pepper is still in the broth).  Add a little milk (Depending on how thin you like your broth), a 1/2 stick of butter, and as much onion as you would like.  Mix all together and stir on low heat (so it doesn't burn).  Once it is all blended together, then add about 1/4 lb. of pound (into pieces) of Velveeta (or as much cheese as you'd like) and let it melt into the soup until mixed all together.  Add more salt and pepper to taste.  Here are some pictures along the way of the process:  However, I forgot to take pictures at the very beginning so just imagine me peeling potatoes, etc. - LOL

 
Serve with Cornbread, crackers or whatever your family enjoys.  We happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE Jiffy cornbread ourselves! :o)
 Now, onto the Pioneer Woman recipe.  It is a dessert recipe and OH SOO YUMMY! :o) It can be found here on her website.

Moist Pumpkin Spice Muffins (With Cream Cheese Frosting)
Ingredients:

Muffins:
1 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 cups Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Salt
4 Tablespoons Butter, cut into pieces
1 cup (heaping) Pumpkin Puree
1/2 cups Evaporated Milk
1 Whole Egg
1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cups Golden Raisins (optional)

Topping:
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg

Frosting:
1/4 cups Softened Butter
4 ounces Cream Cheese
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease 12 muffin tins (or use cupcake liners like I did).  Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.  Cut in butter with two knives or a pastry blender until fully incorporated.  In a separate bowl, mix together pumpkin, evaporated milk, egg, and vanilla.  Pour pumpkin mixture into flour mixture.  Add raisins.  Fold gently until mixture is just combined.  

Pour into greased muffin pan and fill 1/2 full.  Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar-nutmeg mixture over the top of each unbaked muffin.

Bake for 25 minutes.  Allow to cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove and allow to cool.  Ice with cream cheese frosting.  

*NOTE*  To make the frosting - mix all ingredients on high until soft and whipped.  Spread onto completely cooled muffins, or place in large pastry bag with a large star tip and go crazy!  Store in the fridge, as icing will soften at room temperature. 

Here are the pictures, but again, I forgot to take pictures of the first step or so - sorry guys!
 
 
 
Look at all this yummy goodness!
DELICIOUS!
Well, there you go my friends - a good dinner and a yummy dessert for some uber fall comfort food goodness!  I hope you enjoy the recipes and if you try them, please let me know what you think of the soup.  It has been in our family for many years and like I said, one I grew up on and still love today. :o)

Have a wonderful Tuesday and thanks for stopping by to say hello!

Lots of love and hugs,

3 comments:

  1. Yummmmmyyyy - I could just do with a bowl of that soup, I can smell it from here. How I'd love to try cornbread. Only one question - what is velveeta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Two of my favorite things - potato soup and anything made with pumpkin. I'm marking this page to come back and try these recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a bowl of that awesome soup! I am soup fan. :)
    It looks like a great recipe!
    Love the presentation, too!!

    Big hugs

    B xx

    P.S. I'd love to try that cornbread as well.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Love From My Friends